Saturday, January 18, 2014

My Run for #Megsmiles

I had a different post running through my head for this weekend, but it'll wait for another day. Yesterday I wrote about Meg Menzies, mom, wife, and runner who was killed this week by a drunk driver. Last night (as I completed week 2 of T25) all I could think about was getting out there this morning and doing the exercise I truly love. Running. I was, for one of the only times in my life, looking forward to the alarm I had set for 0530.

When the alarm went off today, I was in the baby's bed with her, and she was flopping around restlessly. I snuck out, crossing my fingers she'd stay asleep at least until the front door shut behind me so I wouldn't feel compelled to stay.  I quickly threw on the pile of clothes I had set out, brushed my hair and teeth, used the bathroom, and went downstairs.  I drank a few sips of water, tied my shoes, and quickly threw on all my gear that was waiting for me on the counter - Garmin, SPIbelt with phone and Gu, water bottle, pepper spray on my belt, gloves, and winter headband. 

As soon as I walked outside I put up my hood and tied it tight as I set off.  My legs were a little tight as I finished the first mile, but that first mile is always a liar.  I came up on mile 3 feeling awesome. I was planning on 8 at that point.  I slowed to get a drink of water only to realize my water pouch had sprung a leak and it was all gone. As I opened my Gu I noticed that my pepper spray was gone too.  Well, at least the sun would be up before too long.  I headed back to my own neighborhood just to be comfortable without it.  As I passed my house I also passed mile 5. I was feeling good.  

Not long after that I passed the only other runner I'd seen. We said good morning and I kept going.  Just then I hit a deceptively wet mud patch, and took my first fall in all the years I've been running (4ish).  Luckily, I caught myself with my face.
The woman I had passed yelled to me asking if I was ok. I assured her I was, responded that I didn't need help, and slowly picked myself up, leaving some skin from my knee and chin behind.  I stopped my Garmin at 5.57 miles and 58 minutes and walked myself the half mile home, blood running from my face onto my gloves.

As I walked, my breath catching from the cold and the stinging of my road rash, I reminded myself why I was out there so early, pushing myself to do more miles than I have been running lately. And I smiled.  I smiled the whole way home.  

I smiled through the pain because I knew I was blessed to be able to walk home through my injuries.  I was blessed to open that front door and see the smiles and concern on the faces of my husband and daughters.  And I'm blessed to be able to go back out there tomorrow and do what I love.  And I'm so thankful.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of Meg Menzies today.

And just for fun, my other wound:

End of week 2 weight and measurements, and hopefully a run, tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment